Link dump for May 2012. Some of these have been sitting on a browser tab for months and simply needed to be moved for posterity.
Time Management & Business Development
- Momentum is a hell of a drug An amazing article by Zack Shapiro that points to the fact that success builds on success.
- 26 Time Management Hacks Time management is one of the other major subjects I have been studying as I grow my own business. There are a couple good ideas in this slideshow, and a bunch of retread.
- Spending Time Efficiently Ideas about how to better spend the time you are wasting. However, already remember that the time you ENJOY wasting is NOT wasting time!
- Rainy Day Ideas for Growing Your Business Some suggestions on things to help grow your business when you find some extra time on your hands.
- The $5 Guerrilla User Test Hallway usability tests are the basis for much design methodology for new tech startups. This is an improvement on that idea when you are needing to bring your testing to the next “level.”
- Productivity Hacks for Startup Dads Some nice tips on being productive, a father, and a business founder… all at the same time.
- The Power of Habit Adding to my already unfinishable reading list. Change your habits to change your life.
- The Rands Test Evaluate how well your company communicates between management and their creators.
- Building Handbrake on Fedora 18 I was going to write this tutorial myself, but then I found somebody already had. If you backup your DVD collection, Handbrake is the easiest of all the tools you can use.
- The Fish Shell An interesting replacement for the Bourne Again Shell.
- GitLab.org The software that I am in the process of replacing my old Git repository manamgement with.
- Linux Web Media Players Quick overview on setting up Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon to use on a Linux Media Player (for example XMBC or LinuxMCE.)
- Video Screencasting with Vokoscreen Screencasting tool for Linux. Currently in Beta.
- Building a SIP/Raspberry Pi Phone Using Twilio, Asterisk, FreePBX, and the Obihai OBi100. The extendability options are endless (how many thousands of businesses run Linux based FreePBX/Asterisk without even knowing it.)
- Shell Helpers Copy and paste from your command line directly to Klipper on KDE!
- ownCloud OpenSource Dropbox replacement that can be hosted on your own hardware. Includes a plugin interface that dramatically extends the functionality.
- Big O Complexity A cheat sheet for search algorithm time complexity.
- Statistical Formulas for Programmers Because to many developers think Excel SUM is sufficient for data reporting.
- The RESTful CookBook It is scary how much of my development time is mixed between REST and JSON. This is a pretty good “Cookbook” style web document on REST implementation recipes.
- GruntJS Task Stager Setup your build staging pipeline with a Node.js task runner. Helps with things like minifying, compiling CoffeeScript, and unit testing.
- Pure, Responsive CSS Fairly new CSS framework for responsive web design.
- Git Tips Git tips that can keep you from getting fired. Things like setting up git hooks and file level ignore. CHECK OUT THE COMMENTS, some of the tips are even better than the article.
- The Perfect Mojito I have never been a fan of Mojitos but we had the mint and decided to try one from scratch. WOW… Just WOW! They are amazing when you don’t use one of the store bought mixes… and good rum!